Whether it’s your hobby, a burning passion or a full-time career, this is the final chance for astronomy and photography fans to submit their entries to the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS) Reach for the Stars competition, before the deadline on 2nd April!
The competition is seeking the best astro-photographs taken in Ireland over the period 1st January 2020 to 31st March 2021. Although the deadline is looming, there are still a number of opportunities for you to capture some exciting images – including a Supermoon on March 28th.
As one of the competition sponsors, we are delighted to be working with the DIAS on this project. Our MD, Martina Quinn will have her work cut out for her, as she is a member of the final judging panel that will determine the competition winner. She will sit on the panel alongside Brenda Fitzsimons, Picture Editor of The Irish Times; Professor Peter Gallagher, Head of DIAS Astrophysics; and John Flannery, Vice-President of the Irish Astronomical Society.
The lucky winner of the competition, will be in with a chance of winning a prize package that includes:
- Publication of their images on the DIAS and Irish Times websites;
- A VIP tour of DIAS Dunsink Observatory – with the opportunity to peer through Ireland’s largest refractor telescope.
- A €500 voucher for photographic / telescopic equipment; and
- A 12-month Premium Digital subscription to The Irish Times.
If you’re considering entering the competition, the basic stipulations are that entrants:
- must be over 18;
- must have taken their photograph on the island of Ireland during the time period specified;
- and – obviously – your photograph must depict something of astronomical interest.
So it’s time to get out your camera or phone, and look up to the heavens and see what you can capture!
Further information, including the competition guidelines and entry form, is available at https://dias.ie/reachforthestars.