Worry not A-List fans, your guide to the best things to eat, read, watch, listen to and do in Dublin and beyond is back and it’s a bumper Christmas edition. Team Alice put their festive break to good use and we’re here to share our top tips for Netflix binges, recipes and good reads to tuck into this January.
Strap in folks, this is a big one…
- Bridgerton, Netflix – EVERYONE is obsessed. If you’ve been living in a cave and aren’t familiar, it’s aptly been referred to as “Ride & Prejudice”.
- We are the Champions and New Girl, Netflix – Martina’s been making these shows the perfect short, entertaining fix before bedtime. Also on Netflix – Prom, Monarca and Back to Life.
- Soul, Disney+ – The perfect feel-good movie for Christmas and to brighten those dark January evenings!
- Industry, Prime – This falls under the ‘Watching Again’ category – Martina has binge-watched this in a couple of days and highly recommends. Also on Prime: Knives Out, Brittany Runs a Marathon.
- Ted Lasso, Apple TV – Funny and light-hearted. This has been Niamh’s quick fix watching over Christmas! Also on Apple TV: The Morning Show.
Eating and Drinking –
- Sticky Toffee Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze and Banoffee Pie with Crunchie, Donal Skehan – Several of Team Alice have been trying their hands to Donal’s recipes over Christmas, funnily enough, they all seem to be sweet treats!
- Glas, Dublin – Remember restaurants? Emily enjoyed a trip to this vegetarian spot for delicious food and cocktails in December and we’re all putting it on our lists when lockdown lifts!
- Baa Baa, Dublin – Darragh has made this adorable spot in Chapelizod his go-to for hot drinks on his regular ramble from Kilmainham through the War Memorial Gardens to Chapelizod and back through the Phoenix Park – squeezing the most out of the 5km radius!
- Amaretto Sours and Baileys Espresso Martinis, Niamh’s kitchen – if you can’t go to the cocktails, you have to bring the cocktails to you. Niamh has in practice to become Alice’s resident mixologist and has also been finding cooking inspo from Guy Sinnott and Eric Mathews on Instagram!
- Deanes at Queens and Bengal Brasserie, Belfast and Sozo, Jordanstown – Julie made the most of the Northern Ireland restrictions briefly lifting in December to do a month’s worth of eating out in one week! A valiant effort!
- Massaman Curry, BOSH – Ciarán has been getting his curry fix at home with recipes from BOSH.
- A Promised Land by Barack Obama – Whether you pick up the very heavy physical book or listen into the man himself reading the audiobook, this is a top Team Alice pick!
- Ghosts by Dolly Alderton – This is another popular read among the team, we are dedicated followers of Dolly. Julie was also reading Dolly’s first book – Everything I Know About Love – over the break!
- Ghost in the Throat by Doireann Ní Ghríofa – Another ghost, Emma inhaled thisbook over Christmas and will be forcing everyone she meets to do the same.
- The Ratline by Philippe Sands – This fascinating true story about a Nazi fugitive has been on Emily’s radar since the Dublin Festival of History last year so she was delighted that Santy brought it this year. She’s already devoured it.
- The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma – This was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize in 2015 and Katie thoroughly recommends!
- Twilight of Democracy by Anne Applebaum – recommended reading from Ciarán!
- Team Alice have been embracing audiobooks – Julie has been listening to Untamed by Glennon Doyle, while Emma has made her mission to finally get through Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Emily has also been tuning into a classic, The Wind in the Willows, updated to feature an all-female character list! Excellent company on wintry walks and the drive back to Dublin after Christmas
- Christmas Afternoon Tea in Druid’s Glen, Wicklow – Ciara enjoyed this little treat before Christmas!
- The Martello Hotel, Wicklow – Katie enjoyed a stay away in these self-catered apartments during the lift in lockdown measures in December. Since then it’s been back to dog walks in her 5km radius and poor Miggs’ little legs are walked off him!
- Various dog walks in Carlow and Tyrone – Four-legged friends have been well catered to by Team Alice over the Christmas break!
- Running in Cavan – And Julie snuck in some rambles at home between cuddling her adorable goddaughter Hannah!
- Galtee Mountains, Devil’s Bit and Knockmealdown Mountains, Tipperary – Our Tipp contingent made the most of their snowy Christmases with some very picturesque hikes before we went back into lockdown.
- Ticknock and Vico Baths, Dublin – There were a few wanderings up the hills and icy dips in Killiney in Dublin!
Listening to –
- Bridgerton Soundtrack, Spotify – Niamh and Darragh have taken the obsession to the next level and made the cracking covers in the series part of their regular rotation on Spotify.
- I’m Grand Mam podcast.
- I’m Not a Monster podcast – Martina highly recommends and is counting down the minutes until the next instalment drops on Monday!
- Evermore, Taylor Swift – Emma may be late to the Taylor Swift party, but she is hooked.
- Cuz I Love You, Lizzo – Martina is also late to the Lizzo party but you’re not going to get her out it now.
- Pillow Queens – With her finger much more on the pulse, Emily loved seeing Pillow Queens get some global recognition on James Corden this week.
- Behind the Bastards podcast – Katie is enjoying this mix of history and comedy and the bizarre backgrounds of the worst people in history.
- Doc on One podcast from RTÉ – Martina recommends these for company on your 5km radius walks! She’s just been listening to ‘The Deadly Saris’ episode about two Dublin teenagers who joined the Hare Krishnas.
Looking Forward to –
- Cathedral Quarter Arts Out to Lunch Festival– Julie’s already putting dates in the diary for this year’s online programme launching later in January.
- Tradfest – And Emma is doing the same for Dublin’s annual festival which is going virtual this year.
- And collectively, we can’t wait to a) get into our new office! And b) find our new local and raise a beautiful creamy pint to a new year… hopefully sometime this side of Christmas!