It was a jam-packed weekend for #TeamAlice – Niamh and Emily were running, eating and drinking all around them in Berlin; Martina was on a special family trip up North, and Elaine was enjoying some well-deserved family time – so lots of recommendations this week. You know what time it is… It’s #WhatTickledAlice time!
Niamh and Emily took a notion a few months ago and signed themselves up for the Berlin Half Marathon along with pals Kathleen and Seán, and who’d have thought it would turn out to actually be a great decision?! Glorious blue skies awaited them and they spent the weekend eating, cycling around the sights, enjoying a bier or zwei… oh and running! The weather during the run was a tad too warm for their pasty Irish skin but the thousands of people lining the streets, cheering the runners on and the wonderful atmosphere throughout more than made up for it! Their top tips for Berlin include:
- Staying in this fabulous AirBnb right in the heart of Kreuzberg;
- Renting bikes and cycling to all the major sights (in hindsight not the wisest idea before running 21km);
- Checking out Garage second-hand shop for a few vintage bargains;
- Burgermeister – no nonsense, tasty burgers!
- Cocktails in Das Hotel;
While in Berlin they also caught up with our fabulous former-intern, Anne! Anne’s currently rocking the marketing world in Berlin, and not missing the rainy Irish weather! 😉
Family Days Out
Martina spent the weekend with her family in lovely rural Co. Antrim, a belated 40th wedding anniversary present for her parents! By all accounts it a was a fabulous weekend – lots of outdoor walks, Game of Thrones fan-girling, driving over rivers, and family meals in quaint local restaurants. She highly recommends it for a family weekend away – here are her highlights:
- Staying in this AMAZING Airbnb – a converted mill building, with little rivers and streams surrounding the property – you actually had to literally drive through a river to access it!
- Checking out some of the Game of Thrones ‘sights’ – enjoyable even if you’ve never watched the show! They visited the Dark Hedges (road from King’s Landing) and Ballintoy Harbour (the Iron Islands). Both were fab and very picturesque.
- Going for a walk near Ballintoy walk and then braving the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, – after the stress of that you can relax by checking out Bushmill’s Distillery. 😉
Dinosaurs and More!
Elaine, meanwhile, had some well-deserved annual leave, and went on many family adventures too! They headed off to the zoo, and had a great day out – apparently the animals were all on for entertaining! They particularly enjoyed the new baby elephant and the Zoorassic World exhibit. Raaawr!
They were also pleasantly surprised by the new movie, Peter Rabbit – a big hit with all the fam! They also went on a trip to Rathwood in Carlow (as Niamh made sure to point out…!) A great day out for the kids, with an Easter egg hunt, train ride, and a daycent enough lunch! What more do you want?!