We’ve been enjoying the sunshine over the past week, adjusting to our slowly re-opening neighbourhoods, noticing more footfall and traffic on the streets where we live, and finding new-found admiration for a celebrity in our midst…
As usual, based on our first-hand experiences, we’re bringing you our top cultural picks, based on what we’ve been watching, reading, listening to and eating.
This week, we’ve been:
- ‘World War II in Colour’, ‘The English Game’ and Schitt’s Creek on Netflix.
- The fab Other Voices #Courage2020 series, filmed at locations like the National Gallery of Ireland and the National Library of Ireland (we particularly recommend the performances by Denise Chaila and Glen Hansard).
- ‘The Hare’s Lament’ by Ye Vagabonds.
- The latest episode of ‘How to Fail’, featuring Daisy Edgar Jones of ‘Normal People’ super stardom.
- ‘The Psychopath Test’ by Jon Ronson.
- ‘Call Me By Your Name’ by André Aciman.
- ‘Love Story’ by Erich Segal (a teenage favourite that hasn’t aged very well!).
- ‘Elsewhere’ by Rosita Boland – allowing us to travel vicariously during lockdown (and with thanks and a special shout-out to Ranelagh’s The Company of Books for doing next-morning deliveries by bike within their 2k radius).
Eating, Cooking and Drinking:
- The Happy Pear’s lentil and coriander pesto bake.
- Home-made gnocchi (read Emma’s blog on her ‘perfect bowl of imperfect gnocchi’ here).
- Millionaire shortbread / caramel squares.
- Take-out from Mad Egg and Shouk.
- Dangerously tasty caipirinhas and mojitos, garnished with leaves from Martina’s flourishing mint plant.
- The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in South Korea, thanks to this virtual tour.
- The beautiful War Memorial Gardens, a sanctuary for those of us who live in Dublin 8.
- The Hay Festival, which runs online until 31st May.
We very excited to announce that we finally have our very own #TeamAlice celebrity. Yes, you heard it here first, folks – Emily Brennan is one of the (many) stars of the new SuperValu TV ad. Check it out here (she’s at 40 seconds in) and make sure to look out for Emily on your nearest TV screen too 😉
Enjoy the weekend, everyone. Stay safe!