Reach for the Stars is back!
The ‘Reach for the Stars’ astrophotography competition is back and we’re delighted to be on board as sponsors for a second year. Run by the Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS), the competition, is now open for entries.
Reach for the Stars is seeking the best astro-photographs taken in Ireland over the period 1st April 2021 to 30th April 2022. If you have an interest in astronomy and photography – whether as a hobby, a burning passion or a fulltime career – this is the competition for you. The only stipulations are that:
- Entrants must be over 18;
- They must have taken their photograph on the island of Ireland during the time period specified; and
- Their photograph must depict something of astronomical interest.
This year the competition will have two distinct categories:
- Out of this World: Images depicting scenes / features or elements of astronomical interest. For example, deep space images or images of the solar system.
- Back on Earth: Astro-landscape images that depict a feature or element of astronomical interest and capture elements such as nature, cityscapes, buildings or monuments, land, or water.
Our Account Director, Niamh Breathnach, will sit on the judging panel for the competition, alongside Professor Peter Gallagher, Head of DIAS Astrophysics; Brenda Fitzsimons, Picture Editor of The Irish Times; and John Flannery, Vice-President of the Irish Astronomical Society. Our Senior Account Executive, Sorcha Mac Mahon is also involved, sitting on the organising committee established to coordinate the competition.